One of the rapidly growing and rampantly used products of Microsoft, SharePoint has become a favorite of a number of fortune 500 organizations. It is a marvelous tool possessing a wide array of capabilities. SharePoint caters to high grade business analysis in order to recognize opportunities and problems, thereby assisting businesses to enhance content collaboration as well as boost access to business intelligence. This web application platform also makes sure that robust data security, auditing processes and compliance are perfectly in place.
However, simply installing and making SharePoint available will not be able to guarantee its successful implementation all through the organization. While there has been considerable increase in the deployment of SharePoint in the business world, empowering users to adopt this platform and sustaining the same with proper security can indeed be a great challenge. Here we bring to you some crucial guidelines that will facilitate SharePoint adoption in your enterprise to reap business benefits from it.
- Analyze your specific needs: Prior to the implementation of SharePoint, it is essential to understand the organizational goals, initiatives and objectives because of the fact that SharePoint comes with a number of features that are compatible with particular business requisites. It is also advisable to have a look at the current application usability, procedure and populace concerned, the problems linked to them and how the platform can address the issues.
- Designed architecture: In order to make the SharePoint environment user-friendly and rich, it is important to have in-depth knowledge of SharePoint design and how the templates can be well defined through leveraging a number of navigation and content types. Lots of organizations go for the development of web pages with inadequate planning and do not consider accessibility by end-users in order to update the content. Maintaining proper flow while building the architecture will pave room for convenient access for end-users who will be able to derive complete benefit from the existing features. Hence, innovation in architectural plan and design offering space for new features and fulfillment of requisites surely assists users to come up with quality output.
- Plan your implementation according to crucial needs: Instead of installing all the SharePoint application features, implementation of crucial features catering to particular needs is much better. Certain essential features include intranets, business intelligence, managing sales, document sharing and tailor-made applications accessible with the help of dashboards.
- It is vital to be proactive: Besides architectural planning and development in line with present business requirements, it is also essential to think proactively and develop templates for future capabilities and requirements. Proactive design meets the needs of end-users, thereby ensuring usability and sustainability.
- Be slow and steady: Doing a lot of things simultaneously is not a good idea. Rather, you should start bit by bit, and plan your implementation steadily with the passage of time. For instance, it is good to first aim at a specific group of capabilities or people, concentrating on particular concerns which people come across, such as accounting, managing sales, sharing of spreadsheets or business planning.
- Customization of end user training: Almost all the companies have the feeling that the SharePoint platform is easy to comprehend and utilize. However, the fact is that without adequate training, it is difficult for users. Although a number of DVDs, books, training institutes and online courses are present, guidance on tailor-made features in SharePoint is rarely available. This calls for arrangement of business-oriented training on the part of organizations before the employees start handling SharePoint. Guiding users on the ease of accessibility of the platform, creation of training manuals, PPTs and notes will definitely enable users to effectively comprehend the application and get motivated to adapt to the change.
- Security through permission levels: Security over the SharePoint platform is made available through a range of default permission levels, which constitute the fundamentals of security for assignment to groups. Group sharing is always better than individual sharing, and afterwards, users can be added within each group to validate all the permission levels prior to providing.
When SharePoint is implemented in an organization in the proper manner following the requisite guidelines and security measures, it indeed makes room for organizational success and can enable one to derive maximum benefit for businesses through leveraging SharePoint development.